Friday, May 5, 2017

Lekala #4562 for Me

Do you tandem cut?
Cut more then one garment at a time?
It is one of my favourite things to do.

Often you can get a far more economical sew as you can jiggle things a bit.

Recently I was able to cut a Liberty shirt and a toddler blouse from 2m of cloth.


Then there was the dungarees I made the little girls. I was able to get them, a pair of shorts for Hugo and a popover for Beatrix for less then the advised fabric for both pairs of Loveralls.

So, when I was cutting Zara's dungarees I cut out another tunic for me.
Lekala  #4562
Despite my RBF, I really like it in denim.
image from Pinterest.
My inspiration was the above top I found on Pinterest.
Rather then a facing I bound the neck line.
It doesn't have the drape my rayon version does but it has softened over the day and I think it will continue to, as I wash it.
I top stitched with copper coloured thread. 
It has just enough shaping not to be sloppy and I really like the longer back tail.
I added a side vent, finished with a narrow double hem, as I was worried it may be a bit firm.
It's not but I like the look of the split so, no foul.
I am super impressed not to need a bust dart, I always need a bust dart.
The pocket is faux, it is just a flap but I think it finishes the tunic off nicely.
ETA I think I may remove it, the firmer denim is not sitting as nicely and it tends to stick out, over my boob.
I do get a bit hot wearing tee's, this is cooler, so I think I may make another one or two linen ones for warmer weather.

~My Verdict~
Another nifty Lekala pattern, custom fit, made for me. The instructions are pretty basic, the sleeve cuffs are not even referenced but if you have basic sewing skills you can work it out.
I purchased this denim off of eBay a few years back. 40m for $50?
I have used a lot, given a lot away and swopped it for stuff I needed.
It was a good buy.
xx N

12 comments:

  1. It looks great! I'm also super impressed that you didn't need a dart, also the side split and back hem are so nice. Thanks to you I was looking at Lekala's website the other day. I might give them a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Masha, I know, it looks like there is a dart, doesn't it?
      Do have a go, then enter your photo. I seem to win more patterns then I buy!
      xx N

      Delete
  2. I love your top! I haven't tried the Lekala but I did download 2 bootstrap patterns (not yet made up!) and I'm keep to see how well they do with measurements! If mine turn out as good as yours I'll be happy. What a bargain you found on all that denim! It's such a useful fabric for all sorts of garments and household items like shopping bags!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathleen.
      The denim was such a good buy. The lass was selling it as the colour does transfer for the first few washes (she made baby carriers) I pre-wash it a few times and be careful what I wear it with it. It does settle.
      I also got a huge roll of Air Force camo, I will probably use that for farm shirts.
      I have had goos success with Bootstrap too, I hope you do.
      xx N

      Delete
  3. Cute top and the fit looks great! I tandem cut all the time, especially when I'm sewing for my sisters. I can usually save fabric and get more out of less than what the pattern calls for. I like to cut ahead of time and then I can jump right into sewing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Elizabeth!
      I can cut out with Trixie playing near me but I cannot sew, she is just not that sort of child.
      So I cut and the second she is asleep, I sew!
      Thank you.
      xx N

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

  5. Wow. That's a lot of excellently priced denim!! Good work.
    Girl, that's no RBF (!! :D ), but it is such a good top! In so many ways - great fit, style & really wearable. I'm not sure I'd escape a bust dart without it looking sack-ish though. :(
    I cut my first tandem last week - basic tops for kiddies in a beautiful merino wool that I couldn't let sit languish. It was such a satisfying feeling that I cut my second this week: O+S fleece pajamas & matching riding hood cape 'dressing gown'... Inspired by you of course & L&T's pajama social! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a try, at $3 what do you have to lose?
      I love tandem cutting, it means those pricey fabrics are a lot less so.
      xx N

      Delete
  6. What a great outfit. The top looks perfect, the right drape, colour and shape. Love it. Pity about the pocket flap misbehaving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, not glamorous but very wearable.
      xx N

      Delete